Fatherhood, Facial Hair & My Man Card

Several years ago I wrote about the importance facial hair plays in becoming a student pastor. You can read it here. In short, I stated that I could never be a student pastor because of my inability to grow facial hair, therefore, forfeiting the needed goatee, soul patch, etc.

I was rethinking the facial hair thing the other morning. As some of you know, it's the kind of thing that goes through you mind during a 4 am feeding. . .then again, maybe not, and I'm just weird.

ANYWAY. . .I was wondering if, now that I have an offspring, would it be more appropriate for me to grow a 'stache, soul patch, or whatever I can? Like, something would be better than nothing kind of thing.

Think about it, look at all the pics of "good" fathers we see. They all possess that really cool morning shadow. Right? Me, not so much. Truthfully, not at all.

Then I thought, what will I do when the time comes to teach Joshua to shave? I'm not a great example. What am I going to teach him? What if he gets the wrong idea and thinks that shaving only takes a couple of minutes and razors last forever?  Should I consider getting a surrogate shaver. . .someone who can teach him the fine points of the hot shave, using facial clippers, or carving some sweet chops?

That led me to think that if I can't teach my son to shave, then what does that do to my man card? Do I get it punched and if I get three punches, I lose it? Or does it change colors - like from dark blue to baby blue? I'll still have it, but it doesn't carry as much weight and authority when it comes to man issues. Will I get the "You can't weigh in on a discussion on first round draft picks because you only have a light blue man card?"  What the junk?!!

Man, I never new fatherhood affected so many things. Wow! Guess I've got more to keep track of other than whether Joshua needs his diaper changed or it's time to feed him.  Better get busy!!!

Thoughts?

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals