Student Ministry and Facial Hair

I realized this morning, while I was surfing some blogs, that I could never serve in student ministry as a full-time student pastor. Why not Mike?, you ask. Facial hair. . .or the lack of it.

One thing I have noticed is that the guys who work with students all seem to have some form of facial hair. Maybe a gotee, a mustache, soul patch, some chops adorning the sides of their face, maybe even a beard, whatever it is - it has to do with hair on their face. Watch your student pastor or student pastor friend(s), I bet they have grown, are growing, or will grow some sort of facial hair design.

I would be surprised if Norelco, Braun, and Schick didn't or aren't planning on setting up booths at Student Pastor conferences. They'd make a bundle on the latest facial hair grooming supplies. Think about it!! Maybe I should contact these guys and suggest the idea, eh?

DISCLAMER: Ladies if you serve students, I'm probably not talking about you. Hopefully you don't fall into this category. If so, let me recommend a nice salon that will take care of that unruly gotee for you.

Now ME? Yeah right!! I have so much Indian in me I couldn't grow a mustache or any facial hair worth wearing if I didn't shave for a week. . .month. . .probably a year. Well, I could, but it wouldn't be any count. I've tried not shaving for a week during youth or pre-teen camps. HAH! I looked pitiful. I just end up shaving what little stubble I've accumulated over the period and feeling better about it later. Even when I shave my legs for cycling it doesn't take long. Not much there to shave. Makes it kinda nice though when I do have to shave.

I do know this - I've been told by Karen, and others, that smooth is better. It might not be "cooler", but it's better. Since I'm not in Student Ministry, sounds like I'll be pleasing the ladies!! Wait a minute that didn't sound right - you know what I mean! Right? Oh well. . .

So you guys go ahead and grow your facial hair. Shave little designs in it, trim it, comb it, and whatever you do to it, just know the ladies prefer my smoothe to your prickly. And know that if serving students depended on the presence of facial hair - your job is safe from me!!

Soft and Smooth,
Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
lol! I grew my gotee before I started youth ministry, so I have an excuse. I didn't grow mine to fit in. ;-)

Fortunately, both God and students could care less about your facial hair. God looks at the heart and kids just wanna know that you love them.

Thanks for the laugh, man! God bless!
Anonymous said…
much better without! LP

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals