Surrender?

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. - Ephesians 5:1-2
As I read this verse this morning I was thinking back to a discussion we had in our ABF on Saturday night. In chapters 3 and 4 of Ephesians Paul refers to himself as a prisoner - chapter 3, "A prisoner of Christ Jesus," and in chapter 4, "A prisoner of the Lord." Paul began two chapters of this letter with statements about his spiritual status. He declared his prisonership - one who had totally surrendered control of his will, his choices, and his actions to another. A prisoner is not what someone in his day wanted to be. It was not a pretty sight. Then again, being a prisoner anywhere is not pretty, recommended, or desired. Paul was no longer in control, but the one whom he surrendered to was in control - his Lord.

Then Paul comes to chapter 5 and says be an imitator of God - just as Christ gave himself up for us as a sacrifice. Haven't quite made the connection between imitating God and Christ's sacrifice for us, but I do see Paul re-iterating the theme of surrender. Christ, of all people, didn't have to surrender, but he chose to give himself up for our benefit. He didn't have to be a sacrifice, but for me, he laid himself on a cross. Philippians 2:5-8 says he emptied himself - he consciously chose to give up all his heavenly and divine rights and was obedient to the Father, and gave himself up by dying on the cross for a sinner such as me.

To live a life of surrender. To live a life as a prisoner of the Lord. To live without any control over my life. For me. . .that's a scary proposal. What a controversial act. But, it's got to be better. . .better than me in control. It's definitely has to be better than the messes I create when I'm calling the shots.

But then, I wouldn't be in control. I guess that's probably the hardest part for me. Why? I like to be in control! To allow my future and the circumstances of my life be dictated by someone else. . .I don't know. Then again, I don't think I'm alone. Can I get a witness?!

There's a part of me that hesitates. I want to live a life surrendered to Christ Jesus. I really do! But I have this old battle that continues to rage between my Spirit man and my flesh man, both of whom want to be in control. But the struggle won't be resolve - will never be resolved - until I decide who's in control and surrender to him. To give control to my Lord and live a life worthy of the invitation extended to me through Christ's death on the cross and experience the stuff God has prepared for me that is beyond my wildest imagination (1 Corinthians 2:9-10)! Wow!! Why wouldn't I want to live that life? Then again, it comes down to control. . .to surrender. . .my struggle.

Mike

Comments

Cindy said…
Thank you for sharing your heart. I love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals