It's the Small Things

The other day I found one of those fold-over calendars with a daily devotional thought on it in my box at the church. In it was a note from Ron, a new friend and brother in Christ. Ron and I met a couple of months ago, but have really been getting to know one another in the last couple of weeks.

Ron and I share some similar life experiences. Ron's super smart, he was a nurse until his health caused him to step down. Ron is the nth degree of me. I know that sounds funny, and for some probably pretty scary, but as much as I talk and chase rabbits, Ron is on a whole nother level. Regardless, I love to sit and hear is heart. I love to hear about his life. I love to watch him talk about the Lord with more joy than I've heard in church in a long time.

Ron sees himself as many of us should. . .broken by sin and selfishness, but made new because of the mercy and grace of God. I think this makes him very aware of his short-comings as he mentions them often; not bragging, but in humility and shame.

Maybe we church folk could learn something from Ron. Maybe we could learn about God's mercy and grace and be more appreciative of them. Maybe we could speak of God with more joy than we do of the Oregon Ducks, Alabama Crimson Tide, or the Texas Longhorns. Maybe we could learn to approach God and, better yet, each other, with humility and love. Wouldn't that make for a church that would impact the world!!

Ron, thanks for the gift. It may not mean much to anyone else, but it means a great deal to me. It sits on my desk next to my ever-waiting coffee cup. Every time I look at it I remember your genuine love for God. Thanks for the gentle and powerful reminder.

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals