YEEEEHAAWWW!!!

For those of you not familiar with Texan, that's woohooo in Texan. Why? Because today was my last major run before the 10k next Saturday. Today's run just happened to be a 10k - 6.2 miles. But is was more than just testing the body, the knees, the lungs, and the mind. It was the time I ran it in - 54:33:16.

That translates into a 9:05:52 mile!
Way better than I expected.

Now that's worth getting excited about - at least it is for me. You see, my goal next week is under 1 hour. This proved I could do it without really pushing it. And I didn't really push it today. I just wanted to see what I could do and if it was really possible for me run a 10k under 1 hour without sprinting and blowing my lungs out - and I can.

Here's the break down in case your interested - sorry, what was I thinking, of course you are!

Mile 1 - 9:14:57 - warm up, didn't want to push it too hard, just get warmed up
Mile 2 - 9:28:52 - middle was up and over an overpass - over I-65 headed into Saraland
Mile 3 - 8:35:53 - wind behind me and really feeling good, easy strides
Mile 4 - 8:44:89 - back into the wind, but still feeling strong, no worries
Mile 5 - 9:42:52 - first half was all up a steady incline, into the wind, up and over the overpass
Mile 6 - 8:48:71 - felt great, last half-mile or so picked up the pace without being winded

So there you have it! My first 10k - unofficially. I'm pretty stoked this morning.

There are a couple of people I would like to thank:
  1. First and foremost I would like to thank my cats, Ranger and Lucy who wouldn't let me sleep in - they kept pestering me until I got up and out the door
  2. Second, the makers of GU energy gels - plain, not flavored - been using them for years and they never let me down
  3. The boys of Third Day - helped me keep a good, steady pace this morning
  4. Then the guys of 12 Stones (Potter's Field CD) - their riffs helped push me the last 1.5 miles
  5. Finally, the ladies of Home of Grace - because of the life change they are experiencing through that ministry I am pushed me to run when I don't feel like it, when it's cold and wet, hot and humid, and when it's great like it was today. If they can overcome addictive behaviors I can run 6 miles.
  6. OK - Thanks God for the passion and willingness to run - You got me through another one, safe and sound!
Don't forget - there is still time to sponsor me for the 19th Annual Food World Senior Bowl Charity Run. I'm running the 10k to raise money for Home of Grace. You can pledge a flat rate or by the mile. It's really up to you. All you have to do is email me (click the email Mike link to the left) and let me know your name, how I can get in touch with you (phone or email) and how much. I'm running whether you sponsor me or not, I just want to help out a ministry that's doing some incredible work to help change the lives of a few fortunate ladies who are able to get into and go through this wonderful ministry.

Well. . .enough about me. . .naahhhh. . .it's never enough. Is it? :)

Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
That a boy!!!
Very proud of you I am !!!!
MOM

Popular posts from this blog

Question for You

Camp is Good!

Favorite Cereals