Light Among Light?

In Matthew 5:14, Jesus says, "You are the light of the world.

In John 1:5, John writes,"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

I was thinking about being light and darkness this morning.  I wondered how many of us Christ-followers are more apt to be light among the light rather than light among the darkness? 

I mean, it's soooo much easier to be a Christ-follower among other Christ-followers.  Isn't it?  When you think about it, you don't even have to be the brightest light in the room, there's no need.  If someone's light is brighter it will drown out your dim light.  Even a bunch of dim lights will appear to give off so much light there's no need for our light to shine any brighter.

Gotta admit, it's a much bigger risk to be light among the darkness of this world where the ruler of evil reigns.  Think about it, how many lost friends do you have at work…in your neighborhood…in the community?  When was the last time you stood up against wrong, even if you were the only one?

Yet, Jesus' own words challenge us to be a light - the presence of Jesus - in a dark place.  And in case you haven't noticed, our world is very, very dark.  His very words are to you and me…WE are to be the light of the world.  Am I right? Or am I missing something here?  My pastor, Don Pucik, often reminds us to be a light in a dark place.  Great reminder, Don.  Don't stop reminding us.

This is a challenge for me, as well.  I often find myself being light among light.  It's easy…and comfortable.  There are times when I'm more fearful of the enemy and the darkness around me than I am of God who has provided me victory and the assurance of such victory (1 John 4:4; 1 John 5:4-5).  My prayer today has changed.  May the light of men (John 1:4) shine so brightly within me that others to see the visible light within me and see the difference that light…Jesus…makes within me.

And you?

Gott go and turn the switch on…

Mike


Comments

Jeri Holbrook said…
Absolutely true. Thanks Mike.

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Cereals

Camp is Good!

Question for You