Emmanuel. . .God with Us

I LOVE Christmas music!  Have I mentioned that before?  One of my favorite songs of the season is O Come, O Come, Emmanuel.  I really can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the music and the lyrics that draws me into it.  Here's Barlow Girl's version of it.


Have you ever thought about the name Emmanuel (in the Hebrew it's Immanuel)?  It means "God with us."  

I was thinking about that this morning and here's what came to mind:
It's God, in complete and utter divinity, purity, holiness, and love…the one who is worshipped by angelic beings and pursued by godly men, who gave up all that and more to take on human flesh and bone to enter into our world. 
Look around!  You know how bad our world is?

Why would He do that?  Why would God want to be wth us?  For one simple reason…us…you.  

I am humbled by that thought.  It wasn't like God didn't know what He was getting Himself into.  In fact, He knew very well was He stepping into when He left the majesty of heaven.  Yet, it never stopped Him from coming to us as one of us.

Tomorrow is Christmas.  Before we get caught up in all the stuff (and don't get me wrong, I like the stuff) take a moment to thank the God of Heaven for stepping down into our world for you.

Merry Christmas, 

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals