Resources that Influence Us

Ok. . .yeah. . .it's another one of those late night/early morning questions that hit me, so I thought I would get your input.
If you  were to give someone two books that helped shape your relationship with God, what would they be?
Don't include the Bible.  I think that the Bible is the primary resource for shaping our relationship with God and should be our normative guide for daily living.  Every Christ follower ought to have that as their first go-to resource.  I'm thinking more in the line of something that helped you  understand God on a whole new level. They may have helped you see His nature or character from a new perspective and that drew you closer to Him.  It could something that deepened your relationship with Him.

They could be books that have inspired, challenged, motivated, or broke you.  They could be books that are from well-known authors or maybe a little-known book that's not on everyone's top-ten list.

I know it may be hard to narrow it down to two, but that's why I didn't choose one.  Holy Moly, how do I do that?

For me, if I could only  choose two,  I would choose Erwin McManus' Barbarian Way and Mark Batterson's Circle Maker. McManus' book  inspires me to live totally for God and life with Him is not safe, but requires an abandon of our own life and complete commitment to His.  Batterson's book reminds me of the importance of prayer, praying big and praying through.

There are others that have influenced me, motivated me and challenged me.  My bookshelves (yes, as in more than one) are full of books.  My kindle & iPad are full, as well.  But I can always pick up either of these two and be reminded that living for God may be a crazy adventure, but it can't be done outside of prayer.

What's your two?

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals