Taking Action. . .Today!

As I wrote in my last  post, this year I'm accepting and extending the challenge to be relationally closer to God this time last year than I've ever been before.  While I've had seasons in my life when I've really sensed my relationship with God was pretty good, it's not been something that I've been able to keep up over an extended period of time.

Don't get me wrong.  It's not like I was running away from God or anything like that.  But, life gets in the way - job, family, bills, circumstances. . .know what I mean?  And when that happens my inclination is to take control - I think I've mentioned several times that I'm a control freak, haven't I?  And when I'm in control, God is not.  And when He's not in control our relationship suffers.

Sooooo. . .as I was saying. . .I want to change that this year.

Here's a couple of changes I'm making starting today:

  1. Write more - writing and posting on my blog really helps me get stuff out.  It's a release.  Cindy recognized this about me years ago and throughout our marriage she has encouraged me to write.  So, that's what I'm going to do.  I hope you'll take time to read it.  But if you don't. . .oh well!  It's for me and hope you find some things you can use along the way.  If you do read it, feel free to leave a comment.
  2. Create some margin in my life - I know, sounds kinda funny, doesn't it?  I've heard this term over and over from some leaders I respect and admire.  It's something they have learned to do and I want to learn from their experiences - no sense re-inventing the wheel.  Michael Hyatt shares some insight in his blog. . .
In his excellent book, Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives, Richard Swenson, M.D. describes margin like this:
Margin is the space between our load and our limits. It is the amount allowed beyond that which is needed. It is something held in reserve for contingencies or unanticipated situations.  Margin is the gap between rest and exhaustion, the space between breathing freely and suffocating.

Margin is the opposite of overload. If we are overloaded we have no margin. Most people are not quite sure when they pass from margin to overload. Threshold points are not easily measurable and are also different for different people in different circumstances. We don’t want to be under-achievers (heaven forbid!), so we fill our schedules uncritically. Options are as attractive as they are numerous, and we overbook.

If we were equipped with a flashing light to indicate “100 percent full,” we could better gauge our capacities. But we don’t have such an indicator light, and we don’t know when we have overextended until we feel the pain. As a result, many people commit to a 120 percent life and wonder why the burden feels so heavy. It is rare to see a life prescheduled to only 80 percent, leaving a margin for responding to the unexpected that God sends our way.
This means that I'll have to find places that allow me to do this.  Starbucks was that place at one time.  Maybe it will be again.  Not sure.  We'll have to work on this.

Here's something I recognize and have accepted - both of these actions are necessary to create some down time in my life. . .some intentional space and time in my life where I'm rebuilding my physical, emotional, and mental reserves.  AND both of these actions are totally dependent on me.  I'm the one responsible protecting these times.  I know it's not going to be easy, especially once Joshua gets here.  Then, again, I'm not the first pastor to be have a child, either.  So, I know it's possible.

What's your first step this year to a better relationship with God?  What is one thing you can start today?  Remember, our relationship with God is dependent on our proximity with Him and we're responsible for our proximity (James 4:8).

Take one step today!
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals