Dot the Cat, Fire, and God

Most mornings I try to get up pretty early. This allows me time to spend with God - reading His Word, praying, writing, etc. One of the first things I do is get a fire going in the fireplace. Of course, that takes all of 2 seconds with a flip of a switch. Then I sit down with a cup of coffee and begin my time with the Father.

Sometime after I get up Dot the Cat comes down to get a bite to eat and sit in front of the fire. For some reason it mesmerizes her. She will sit and stare at the flames for quite a long time. She won't move. She won't be distracted. She'll just sit and stare. Eventually, she'll lay down and get comfortable. Like she's doing right now.

I wonder if I couldn't learn something from Dot the Cat about my time with the LORD? I began to think about that this morning. I began to think about the last time I just sat down with God and was mesmerized by Him? When was the last time I just sat in His presence. . .no expectations, no preconceived notions, no rituals, no list of excuses and wants on my part?

This seems like it might be pretty easy, except for the fact that my mind wonders when I sit still. Then one thought leads to another, which leads to me doing something, which leads to something else and before you know it, God's not the focus of my time. I think it's one of those things that sounds good on the surface, but is much easier said than done. Know what I mean?

As I think about my relationship and getting closer to God this year, I'm thinking that sometimes, rather than my morning ritualistic time with God, I should just sit in His presence. Listen for His voice. Worship the One who has given me life. Think on His creation. . .His blessings. I don't think it has to be long. Probably won't to start with. But like my friend Gene says, "It's progress over perfection."

When was the last time you just sat and was mesmerized by the presence, blessing, and/or the power of God? What was the last time you sat down with Him without an agenda? When was the last time you worshipped Him or mulled over a passage of Scripture? When was the last time you listened for His voice?

Thank you, Father, for using Dot the Cat to challenge me this morning.

Blessings,
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals