Communicating with GOD

This morning I was looking over some new curriculum LifeWay has come out with called The Gospel Project.  The first introductory lesson is entitled The God Who Speaks.  In short, at least part of the lesson focuses on communicating with God and our innate desire to communicate.  Yes, even emotionally-repressed guys need to communicate even if it is through a series of grunts, head-bobs, facial expressions and/or handshakes and high-fives.  It may not be anything close to how our wives communicate, but we still have a desire to communicate.

As I was writing in my journal - yeah, I'm spiritual like that - I began talking to God about how I communicate with Him.  I wondered what I would see or hear if I were to extrapolate myself from our communication and just be an observer.  What would I see and/or hear?  What would my communication with God look like?

Here are a few questions. . .challenges. . .that came to mind:

  • What do I say when I share with God?
  • How do I say it?
  • What do I do. . .my actions when I pray. . .or better yet, after I pray?
  • What's my attitude?
  • What's my posture. . .wonder how much of my posture reflects my attitude?
  • Would I discover that I use the same old tired phrases?  Wonder if GOD gets tired of those?
  • Do I communicate with GOD from my heart or from a wrote-like trance?
  • Would I see an event or a lifestyle of communicating with GOD?
  • Would I find two-way communication or a diatribe of monologues focused on me and mine?
  • Is there a sinner pursuing the heart of His redeemer or someone checking off a box on his To-Do list?
  • Focused or distracted?
  • Am I consistent or hit-and-miss?
  • How much do I listen versus the amount of talking I do (goes back to the two-way communication)?
  • Am I honest with GOD or protective of what I say, how I say it, and how I feel?
I stopped there.  Good grief!  I feel bad enough.  Oh, I'm sure there's a ton-o-more questions I could ask, but just getting through these are enough for now.  

As I asked these questions of myself I found some I could answer rather quickly.
  • The two-way communication - I'm one-sided there (stop nodding your head in agreement)
  • Focused or distracted - I'm way too distracted most times
  • I do communicate from my heart - honestly, openly, and many times passionately
Others I knew would take some time.
  • The posture/attitude thing - need some time to think through that one
  • What I say and how I say it - need to listen more to my what I'm saying, may go back to lack of focus

QUESTIONS FOR YOU
  1. Any of these hit home for you?
  2. What are questions you would ask yourself about your communication with God?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals