Recharging

I'm sitting in one of my favorite places - Starbucks on 23rd & Overton in Portland.  It's not that it's a Starbucks, there's plenty of those around here.  It's that it's roomy, comfortable, provides plenty of places to connect or just watch, and it has a fireplace! How cool is that?!

Lots of people hang out here - nursing students, employees of Good Sam Hospital, runners, older folks, walkers, commuters, readers, talkers, friends, loners, hanger-outers. . .you name them and they come here.

When I bring Cindy to work, like I did this morning, I like to come here and hang out for a while.  I read, write in my journal, surf the web, people watch, and really. . .recharge my batteries.  One of the reasons I like it here is that there's no rush.  The place is so big, there's no hurry to finish my coffee and let someone else have my table.  I like that.  It's comfortable for me.

I also like that there's no expectations of me here.  I know that may sound funny, but you know what I mean - for a few minutes you're not a husband, boss, employee, mom, chauffeur, accountant, cook, drill Sargent, or referee.  You get to be you.

I'm just part of the crowd. . .like everyone else.  And that allows me to get focused, to process things, to get organized and yes, to recharge.  Like a lot of you, I get pulled in a lot of different directions and just need to step away from the hustle and bustle, even if it's for a few minutes.  Jesus was known for that.  He would often sneak away from the crowds and spend time alone.

For an introvert like me this is huge.  Pulling away is how I relax.  I know that some of you find it hard to believe. . .OK, you can get up off the floor and wipe that silly grin off your face. . . but, yes, I'm an introvert.  I like solace and need it to get away from the crowds.  Over time I've come to learn that I need to retreat. . .to get my bearings. . .to process stuff. . .to recharge.

I think good leaders know about recharging.  For some that's gathering with friends and hanging out.  For others it may be taking a walk or hike in nature.  As a leader you may have realized that you need to go for a drive or put on some music and sing out loud or dance all silly-like.  Whatever you do, find your way to recharge.  It will be what may just save your leadership.

Do you recharge?


How do you recharge?




Well, coffee's getting cold and I need a refill,
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals