Leadership Altitude

Let me just say it up front, I LOVE to fly.   Been doing it since I was 3 months old and I love it.  I just think it's the coolest thing.  Whether you like to fly or not, you've probably heard the pilot come over the the intercom to welcome you, share the route you'll be flying, the weather and how it affects your flight, and the altitude you will be cruising.  Like know the altitude of our flight has any real meaning to anyone on board. I mean, it's not like I could tell the difference between 28,000 feet and 30,000 feet, but the pilot seems to have this insatiable need to tell us.

I do know at that altitude I can see a whole lot of landscape.  A lot more than let's say at. . .300 feet.  At 300 feet I'm just above the treetops.  I can see the landscape in greater detail, I just can't see as much of it.  There's  a huge difference between  300 feet and 30,000 feet.

The same goes for leadership and what I call Leadership Altitude.  Leadership Altitude determines our focus as leaders and where we spend our time.

As leaders, when we fly at 300 feet we see the details of day-to-day operations - how much postage costs, installing cables, making sure rooms are set up, scheduling meetings, hands on accounting, or filling in an excel spreadsheet.

I'm not saying these kinds of things are not important.  They are.  In fact,  they are very important.  But as a leader is that the best use of your time?  What would happen to your organization if you were to begin moving up to the 30,000 foot level?  As you may have guessed, there's a huge difference in leadership that happens at 3,000 or 30,000 foot level.

At the beginning of this year, God challenged me to begin flying at the 30,000 foot level.  That meant that I would have to let go of some things.  I would have to give up control.  That's hard because I'm the consummate control freak.  But it's necessary if I'm going to help Keith lead Greater Gresham.  I can't come alongside him to help him if we are flying at two different levels of leadership.


God reminded me, and now I'm reminding you, that flying at the 30,000 foot level allows us greater vision. And seeing more of the landscape helps us lead in setting direction, developing strategy, leading leaders, and planning for the future - staffing, budgeting, and ministries. AND, this is a big AND, the 300 foot level stuff still gets done - probably by people who are more creative, more passionate, and more gifted at those kinds of things than we are.

I am blessed to have people who are great at the 300 foot level stuff.  I depend on them greatly.  But God continues to challenge me to let go of stuff. . .to get more people involved.  We will have to get creative.  It may require a part-time volunteer or outsourcing something until we can afford to hire a full-time staff person for a particular area.  We may have to train up someone within the organization.  Who knows.  Regardless, I've still  got to get to the 30,000 foot level. I'm not quite there, but I'm climbing.  My Leadership Altitude is gaining.

If you're a leader that is struggling or struggles with letting go so you can climb in your Leadership Altitude let me share something with you that I heard several years back - find someone who can do it at least 80% as well you can and let them run with it.  You may have to get them some training, you may have to invest in some resources, but it will be well worth it. . .for you and for the organization.

So what about your leadership?

  • As you're a small group leader or teacher are you still trying to do everything?
  • As a ministry leader are you still  hands on with the details instead of casting vision, recruiting leaders, and sharing your passion?
  • As a pastor, are you still involving yourself in the day-to-day stuff that a volunteer or part-time staff person could do?
  • Are you a manager,  supervisor, or leader at work?  Where are spending your valuable time?  How could you involve more people?
 Gotta go so I can return my seat and tray table to an upright and locked position.  Time to land this thing,
Mike


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals