Isn't It Funny . . .

Isn't it funny how life works?

I'm up at 2:20-something this morning. Don't understand why. . .just am. My eyes popped open and when they do, I can't go back to sleep. Might as well go ahead and get up. So I did.

Ever have that happen to you? Not the "eyes popped open" bit, but being awake at such an ungodly hour! Yeah, I think it's funny.

Can't really focus this morning so I thought I would post this. Thought about how it was funny that I was up so early. Way before I needed to be. Oh well. It is what it is. . .funny. Isn't it?

Isn't it funny how so many men these days are searching for what it means to be a man? Today is Wednesday. It's the day I have the privilege of hanging out with some guys from Greater Gresham to learn and discuss what it takes to be a godly man in our culture. I look forward to it, actually. We've got married guys and guys who are just barely in a relationship. We've got men who are beyond their half-time and some who are just getting started in the game. Some of the guys spent a life putting theirs at risk for the sake of others. Some are flourishing behind a desk. We are all trying to figure out what it looks like to be a man of God. I like that about our guys. . .about this group.

Isn't it funny how we've equated knowledge with spirituality? Like, if I KNOW more about God, then somehow I must be more like Him or closer to Him. You know what I'm talking about. It's as though we've convinced ourselves that if we read one more book, listen to one more podcast, or take one more study we will morph into some kind of super saint. It's funny that more and more Christians can quote an author or pastor, but can't quote the Bible. I think it's funny that people want to take or teach apologetics, yet don't share the gospel they know with anyone. I really think it's funny that so many people want to study end times prophecy, but don't live like it could happen now. OK, to be honest, this isn't really all that funny. It's pretty sad.

Isn't it funny that we will get up early to go hunting, fishing, or to a ball game on Saturday, but won't get up early to worship God with other believers?

Isn't it funny that we can't wait to get our kids on some kind of team where they learn to live with others. . .their successes, their failures, their good, and their bad. . .but we adults avoid taking the steps to do the same with other adults in a small group?

Isn't it funny that we expect our leaders, churches, and even our government to be financially responsible, but we don't have the same expectations of ourselves? OK, granted some of you do and are. Didn't mean to lump you in with others who aren't.

Isn't it funny that our children live in the world of creativity and imagination, but as adult we shun it? I remember when a badminton raquet was a machine gun and the bases were loaded with two outs in the bottom of the ninth and I was pitching for the championship. Anybody else remember those days? What happened to them? When did we move away from them as adults. Why is it when we do something fun we will often say, "We need to do this more often." then don't?

You see what happens when I have too much time on my hands?

What's "funny" to you?

Got to go, too much fun this early in the morning gives me a headache.

Where's the Advil?
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals