Risk

How far are are you willing to go, if at all, to expand the Kingdom of God? I'm not necessarily talking about distance. . .a.k.a. that mission trip half-way around the world. I admit that there's inherent risk in the trip itself. What I'm talking about is the kind of risk it takes to expand the Kingdom of God in YOUR community - school, child's sports team, office staff, neighborhood association, etc.

There are people in the Bible who risked life and limb for the Kingdom of God. Check out Rahab. She was a prostitute and, as we find out later, part of the lineage of Jesus. But even when confronted by the king of Jericho's men she would NOT turn her back on God or His people. Yet, how many times do we do that just because we don't want to be labeled a Christian, Christ-follower, one of His disciples, or whatever the cool term is these days for accepting salvation through the blood of Jesus, our Savior?

Rahab feared God. She was more afraid of the power of God than she was the authority of her earthly king. She risked her life and the life of her family for expanding the Kingdom of God. When she hid the spies and lied to the king's men she committed treason. And I'm pretty sure the penalty for treason wasn't life in prison with all kinds of amenities. It was probably death of some sort. But even that couldn't deter her from helping the people of God.

What or who are you afraid of? Afraid of being associated with Jesus? Afraid of letting your friends know? What if your boss found out you were sold out to Jesus? Are you more afraid of the people you encounter than the living, true God?

If you are willing to take a risk for the cause of Christ how far are you willing to go? Reputation? Alienation? Death?

I'm right in there with you. I'm not sure how far I would go. My neighbors know that I'm a pastor, on staff at a Baptist church. Funny, they still talk to me. They share life with me.

I have a feeling that the CHURCH (the people of God, not the place we go to on the weekends) will never affect our communities for Jesus until we put our fears aside, or at least fear God more than the people we encounter.

What are you afraid of? I would be interested in knowing what's keeping the church from being the church.

Mike

Comments

Denise said…
Hmmm; pride? Pride vs. humility have been on my mind a lot lately; I tried to sum it up in my blog but there's so much more I could have written about! Risk IS scary; I need to humble myself and go for it!

Denise

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals