Worship - the Created or the Creator

Ever read something for the umpteenth time and one day it all clicks. . . you have that "AHA!" moment? The 115th Psalm was that for me this morning. I've probably read it. . . . . . . ok, I've read it a bunch. We'll just go with that. But there are couple of things that caught me eye and spoke to me.

First, part of the 1st verse happens to be the chorus to a Chris Tomlin song. Pretty cool, eh? The song just happens to be called Not to Us. Go figure.
1 Not to us, O LORD, not to us
but to your name be the glory,
I like it because it removes us from the center of our self-centered lives and tendencies and places God smack dab in the middle. It says that it's about God and it's NOT about us. Thank you psalmist for the great reminder.

Second, the writer then goes on to describe gods made by man. He writes. . .
4 But their idols are silver and gold,
made by the hands of men.

5 They have mouths, but cannot speak,
eyes, but they cannot see;

6 they have ears, but cannot hear,
noses, but they cannot smell;

7 they have hands, but cannot feel,
feet, but they cannot walk;
nor can they utter a sound with their throats.

8 Those who make them will be like them,
and so will all who trust in them.

So let me get this straight. We make idols? And then we worship those idols? So what you're saying is that I create something and expect it to have "special powers" to bless, curse, or whatever? Where do they get these special powers? From me? But I don't have any . . . unless the ones in my head count? I mean, I'm not that special, yet I would expect the thing I create and worship and put my trust in to be special? Sorry, I just don't get it. Why would we do that? That's like taking an ash tray or bowl I made in pottery class and setting it up on an alter - singing to it, giving to it, praying to it, sharing it with others - and expecting it to make a difference in my life. It's the idea that the created is worshiped by the creator. Does this make sense to you?

Yet, there's God, in heaven who has the power and authority to do whatever pleases Him. He's the same God that create me and made me special/unique (no pun intended). Why wouldn't I worship the God who has the power to create me? Why wouldn't the created worship the creator?

And if I do put my trust in the Lord of Creation, He will be my help & my shield, He will bless me, He will make me increase - both me and my children (Baptists that doesn't mean get an extra helping of mashed potatoes and another round of dessert. . .put down the chicken leg) (v. 9-15).

So let me get this straight. . .I can worship something I created who has all the "special powers" I impart upon it. Or, I can worship, serve, and trust in the Lord who created me? Hmmmmm. . .seems like a no-brainer.


Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory!

Mike



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals