It's Too Hard!

We often believe, for one reason or another, that we have it hard as Christ-followers. Let me be the first to say, if you live in America, that's a farce and lie straight from the depths of hell. I've been in the bush of Tanzania and found life there a lot tougher than most of us have it. I'm not saying that we don't go through difficult patches at times - for proof check out another blog of mine called In the Midst of the Valley. And I admit that there are men, women, and children suffering in ways I could never imagine right here in the good ol' US of A. I get that. But for most of us who are claim to be disciples of Jesus Christ, we've gotta admit, we really don't have it so rough.

But not matter where I've lived and served in ministry I hear how difficult it is to share the gospel. . .to reach people for the Kingdom of God. I've even been one of those people. Then this morning I read about Noah who not only built a stinking huge boat, but was a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:4-5). Talk about having it tough.

Imagine being the only God follower on the ENTIRE planet. Imagine having every kind of wickedness around you 24/7. Imagine being unable to escape it - no matter where you went, what you did, or who you met. Imagine trying to lead your family in the ways of God in the midst of all that was going on. Honestly? I can't grasp how difficult Noah really had it. This had to be tough.

Yet, Noah didn't make excuses. he didn't justify why he couldn't live for the Lord. Even among an entirely ungodly world he did all that God commanded him (Genesis 6:22) and was a preacher of righteousness.

So, why do we/I justify our unwillingness to be "preachers of righteousness"? Why do we/I find excuse after excuse when others are willing to do it in their culture, or in spite of their culture? I'm sure fear has something to do with it - fear of rejection, fear of being unprepared, etc. I'm sure the unwillingness to do the hard stuff, go to the hard places, and deal with hard people have something to do with it. I also think that we view our relationship with God as an us and Him thing. . .as though our relationship with God happens in a vacuum. . .and not an us and God and others thing. One thing I'm sure of, everyone who doesn't, or hasn't, has their excuse. . .their justification.

God keeps reminding me that Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4). He also says that what is impossible with men is possible with God (Luke 18:27). Imagine a people of God who set aside the excuses and just started doing the things God has commanded us to to - Love God and love people. Imagine the difference it would make among our hearts, our church staffs, in our communities, our homes, our workplaces, our ministries, and even our churches.

Let's put away the childish things like excuses and begin to make a difference in our world - no matter where it is. Remember, greater is HE that is in us, than he that is in the world.

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals