Becoming Personally Missional

I've started reading David Putnam's book, Breaking the Discipleship Code. I love this line about becoming personally missional - we've got to live like Jesus, love like Jesus, and leave behind what Jesus left behind. I think that sums it up pretty well in a nut shell what it means to become a disciple of Jesus.

Near the end of the last chapter he states that "we have to say no to religioun in order to say yes to Jesus." I love that line. I grew up, for the most part, in the church. I was there every time the doors opened - or so it seemed. I thought the church was where things happened - ministry, relationships, worship, discipleship. I've learned, and am still learning, that WE are the church and things like relationships, worship, discipleship, and leadership training doesn't always take place at the "temple." Often it takes place at Starbucks, over lunch, serving our communities, on game nights, and date nights, or at the playground or ball park.

I find it funny. . .strange funny, not haha funny. . .that somehow we've missed that; not all of us mind you. There's a lot of churches living like Jesus in their communty and their church's culture reflects it. But where does your church meet to live like Jesus? Does it happen at the temple or as you interact with people. . .like Jesus did.

David asks a couple of great question that I've been rolling around in my head for the last week. . .
  1. What religious baggage do you needs to be eliminated from your life?
  2. What does it mean for you to live as Jesus lived?

Ooops, I'm on the bottom. . .there's the whistle. . .and I've got to get a reversal and back on my feet. . .gotta go!
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals