...Your Will Be Done

In preparation for Easter, I'm reading through the account of Jesus' death and resurrection (those come on Sunday). It's just something I've done this week for quite a while.

Yesterday, as I was reading Matthew's testimony of the arrest, trial, conviction, and death of Christ I noticed that twice while Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane he prayed, "Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39, 42). I began to think how many times I have prayed, and heard others pray as well, "Lord, if it's your will..." or "May your will be done..." Yet I'm not sure we really mean it. It's not that we're not meaning people, we are. But do we really want God's will to be done,. Or...are we really wanting or hoping our will to become God's will?

Jesus truly wanted God's will...even if it cost him his life. In fact, he knew it would. had had already predicted his death several times before this night arrived.


I believe this was a difficult night for him. I don't thing these words came as easy for Jesus to say as we tend to read them. I think it was agonizing - knowing he was going to die an incredibly horrific death. Try going back to Matthew 26-27 and reading Jesus' prayer with the knowledge that he knows he is going to die for everyone and take on their sins. Could you do it? Could you die for everyone? Maybe you would be willing to die for your children or your spouse, but could you do it for a Charles Manson or Jeffrey Dahmer, the High Priests who falsely accused you and sentenced you to death, a friend who betrayed your trust, the guy who stole your identity, the drunk driver who killed a friend or family member, or me? How difficult would that be? Would your prayer be any different? Could you pray, "Yet not as I will, but as you will"?

For some reason I just can't read those words as easily anymore. Can't just gloss over them like Jesus was about to hit his favorite ride at Six Flags. The agony of Jesus keeps me from scanning over them as though everyone was about to live happily-ever-after.

Makes me stop and think, "Do I really want God's will to become mine?" I mean...I do. I want God's will, not mine, but I don't know if I will repeat those words so nonchalantly anymore.

What about you?

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals