What Would You Do?

Ministry Today posted this article on their website -

Small Town Meets Big-Time Forgiveness in Action

Print PDF

Every week, David Pinckney preaches to his congregation about being like Jesus. Now the small-town New Hampshire pastor is discovering not everyone wants to follow through with that challenge-especially when it comes to forgiveness.

Last week Pinckney did the unthinkable for many of the 2,000-plus residents of Chichester, N.H., by inviting a convicted child killer to live with him and his family for at least two months. After officials couldn't find anyone else willing to take in 60-year-old Raymond Guay, who spent the last 35 years behind bars on charges of abducting and murdering a 12-year-old boy in 1973, Pinckney opened up his home-where his wife and four teenage children also live. Unfortunately, most of his neighbors believe his kindness is now making a once tranquil town unsafe for everyone.

Pinckney, who leads River of Grace Church in nearby Concord, has received several angry phone calls, endured a protest outside his home and even heard someone threaten to burn his house down. In a recent town meeting, more than 200 people gathered to appeal Guay's relocation to Chichester, and local police have publicly stated they understand people's fear because of their meager numbers (the town employs only four full-time officers).

"My concern is safety," said Merrimack County Sheriff Scott Hilliard, whose department assists Chichester police. "To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want Mr. Guay to be living in my town. I'm a parent, too."

Pinckney met Guay through a prison minister and believes he's a changed man since meeting Christ in 1993. "We would not be doing this if we thought we were endangering our town, neighbors or children," he wrote in an open letter to the town assuring them Guay is trustworthy.

Not everyone is buying it, despite such assurance coming from a man who's been well liked and respected by the community. "It was said this could disrupt life," Pinckney said. "People wouldn't like it. He's not liked. But at the end of the day, this is what Jesus did. He defended the defenseless. He was a friend of sinners." [AP, 3/18/09; boston.com, 3/19/09]
So I'm thinking...what would I do? What would I say if I was a member of his church? I don't have children, so I'm not sure it affects me like it would a parent. But what if he was a convicted rapist? Would I invite him into my home to live with Cindy and me? I have to admit, it's not as cut and dry as I thought it might be.

As I thought through it I found myself thinking how easy it is to forgive others when we don't have to rub shoulders with them. Wouldn't it easier if we didn't have look them in the eye or, or stand behind them on the line at Wal-Mart, or sit next to them in worship? I think it would be easier for members of the community and the church to forgive this man if he wasn't going to live in their neighborhood, attend their church, and worship with them.

Here's a some questions that came to mind this morning:
  1. Can I forgive this person without having to have contact with them?
  2. Where's the line between trusting God and intentionally putting yourself and family in harms way? Or should there be a line?
  3. What does it mean to truly forgive another?
Where do land on something like this? I think it's easy to condemn one side or the other when it's not us and our families involved, so be very careful about condemning either the pastor for bringing the man into his home and community or the people for not accepting the pastor's decision or the man he brought into their community.

Still wrestling...
Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
The decision to bring someone that has broken the law, been convicted, was sentenced and has served his time into to your home is not an easy decision. That is a decision one has to allow God to make and then you have to trust God to do what He does best. People judge and do not accept the decision that made. We judge more harsh than God does. God has no condemation but man certainly does.
I feel we really need to search our hearts as Jesus told the theft on the cross next to him...today you will be with me in pardise.
Each person should be given a chance. NO it is not easy but trust me when I say, allow God...
thanks for a story that only reminded me of how much better we as christians believe we are...big sin - little sin....
love you
mom

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals