Great Run Today

This past week I talked with Cindy about running in the Nashville 1/2 Marathon. This is something I've wanted to do for a while and it would give us a weekend with her family. I've never ran that far before. I shared the idea with Gene - he's run several marathons - to get some input from him. Gene was encouraging and gave me some things to think about.

Running the 1/2 marathon (13 miles) has changed how I train and, in turn, changed how I run next weekend in the Azalea Trail 10K. I'm probably going to use it as an up tempo training run. I'm not going out to look for a Personal Record (PR).

To get ready for the 1/2 marathon I've got to start building up my miles. So. . .today I took off for an 8-miler. I haven't run that far since I has in high school. That was more than 20 years ago - waaaayyyyy more.

My plan for today was to take it easy and just get feel for what it feels like to go that far. So, with the i-Pod cranking out some Chris Tomlin I took off. I ran it in 1:13. That translates into a 9:00 minute mile for 8 miles. I was very pleased. I didn't expect to do as well as I did.

It didn't seem to feel that difficult and my cool down was very relaxed. Again, I didn't push the pace, but was able to pick it up when I felt I was getting a little lazy.

Next week I go into 1/2 marathon training. the 10k will be here next weekend then I've got 13 miles in 4 weeks.

Have a great weekend!

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals