Mountain Biking in the Rain

Tuesdays are my scheduled riding days. This past Tuesday it had been raining all day and I really wanted to go for a ride. I'm not really thrilled at the prospect of riding my road bike on wet, slick roads. BUT my friend Ron let me borrow his mountain bike for a couple of days to check out and see if I can figure out why the back tire keeps going flat. Yep, you got it. It hit me on the way home from the office, "What a great way to check out the bike, the tire, and still get in a ride."

I ran in the door and quickly changed clothes, re-adjusted the seat, and headed out the door in search of some trails to test Ron's bike. They are cutting some roads for a new edition, golf course, or something about a half a block down the road from my house. It's nothing but mud, puddles, rocks, sticks, and limbs waiting to be explored by anyone foolish enough to do it in the rain. And guess what?! I was that foolish. Oh yeah, I know you're surprised. Aren't you? Go ahead and admit it. OK, so I'm laughing out loud right about now.

It started raining harder and I just kept going. I did about a 45 minute ride which included re-adjusting the seat, learning how to shift a mountain bike in the rain, and doing some puddle jumping off the bike. I was soaking wet and covered with mud & grit from head to toe. I just laughed.

I couldn't help but think that this is exactly what I used to do as a kid - or try to do if mom or dad didn't catch me. My brothers, Dan & Jerry, loved getting out in the most extreme weather and having fun - getting wet, getting dirty, and laughing.

I'll probably purchase a mountain bike in the near future. I can't imagine not doing this again.

Next? Met a guy - Ben - who's been rock climbing for about 20 years. He wants to head up to the Birmingham area or Chattanooga to climb with me!! I've climbed before - indoors and outside in Ouray, Colorado. It's been a while, but I can't wait. Just need to find a weekend I'm free.

Gotta go and get the adrenaline pumping - yard work, you know!

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals