Cycling and Life

I learned a long time ago that, for me, cycling helps me cope with the ups and downs of life. I find that when I don't ride then I'm more susceptible to mood swings, not sleeping well at night, and eating all the wrong stuff. I can ride with a group or alone, it doesn't matter to me. You see, riding allows me time alone with my thoughts - talking with God, praying for people and situations, working through problems (yes, I talk to myself - actually I carry on entire conversations with myself), singing, and just being alone with me. I like me and I like being alone with me. Ok, so I'm weird.

This past Friday I was on a 30-mile ride and, for some reason, I remembered Karen's last week alive. She made me go ride - twice that week. I was tired and didn't really feel like it, yet Karen's words encouraged me. So I changed clothes, threw my bike in the back of the truck and headed to ride with our group - Angelina Bicycle Club. I was taken back to one of those rides. It was one of those rides where I realized I could climb off of my bike, lay it down, take off my shoes, and walk away from cycling. . .for good. I realized in that short, slow ride that nothing at that moment was not near as important as the wife I had at home suffering with cancer (for more information about that situation click here).

Cycling had become a priority in my life. But now, it just didn't seem to matter as much. What I didn't know was that would be her last week with me. I can't describe how surreal that moment in time really was. It's indescribable. It's one of moments that just hang there - everything slows down. . .life comes into focus. It's almost like a movie where the actor begins seeing everything in a new perspective and nothing else really matters except that moment and what the actor sees. What did I see? Karen!

While that day in east Texas brought tears to my eyes, nothing of the sort on Friday. Just memories. Good memories.

Cycling is again a priority in my life. Again, it's helping me focus, work through stuff, and gives me time alone while working the weight off - and do I need to. I'm looking forward to my days on the bike. Days and moments that help me bring life into focus. Some days will be fun and full of laughter. Other days will be physically taxing. Then again. . .there will be days that just attack me mentally and emotionally. That's ok. It's all good!

Mike

Comments

kris said…
so .... i'm FINALLY catching up on your blog. interesting stuff -- loved the story of the cell phones and keys in CO.... :)

anyway - glad to hear about your cycling - hope it continues to bring you joy!

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals