19th Annual Senior Bowl Charity Run - 10K

Well. . .it's done, over, kaput! My first 10k - 6.2 miles for those who struggle with metrics. It's over and I'm pumped! The weather was perfect - sunshine, slight breeze, about 50 degrees at the start. The course was a dream - flat!!

The time? 50:00!!! That's an 8:02/mile pace - the fastest average I can remember. I didn't realize I was on this kind of pace until about the 2-mile mark when I saw that I had run 8:16 for 2 miles - 8:08/mile. Miles 3 & 4 were just keeping pace, not going out too fast or pushing it, just relaxing and listening to the tunes streaming through my iPod. When I hit mile 5 I switched to 12 Stones and picked up the pace. Mile 6, let's just say a smile came across my face as I opened up the pace and began to pick off runners in front of me.

My two desires were to finish under an hour and to leave everything on the course. I literally wanted to collapse when I finished. I experienced both - 50-minutes for a 10k and leaning on the railing when I finished so I wouldn't fall down.

What a day! Thank you Lord for getting me through this run. Now on to bigger and better things - half-marathon maybe?

Oh! Before I forget - between Pastor Ed, myself, and others who were running to raise money for Home of Grace we raised close to $10,000. Well, there you have it $10k for a 10k! Thank you all for your financial support, prayers, and words of encouragement. May God truly bless you in un-imaginable ways.

Run on,
Mike

Comments

faithrunner said…
Ah, you still have it, old man! Now, to the 1/2 marathon and beyond...okay, how about HH100 again?

great to hear you are pleased with your run...12 Stones is a bit much for me, but I'm old, you know.

running with you,
MikeS said…
Old man. I like it - then again, I'm the one listening to 12 Stones, eh?

HH100 - I'm still wanting to do it again, next year.

Looking at a marathon in Atlanta in March '07. Haven't committed yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals