What was I thinking?

This morning was run day. So after some coffee, a yogurt, and time with God, I laced up the New Balances and hit the road.

What I didn't realize when I started was the workout I would endure. Started off easy enough - just like most of my other workouts, a good pace to get warmed up. Then the thought hit me - let's push it. Why does this thought always seem to come out of nowhere? I don't have a clue. So I hit a fartlek. NO! It's not what you think so stop grinning or laughing or whatever you're doing. I came across this workout running with my friend Stacey. Stacey ran fartleks in high-school when he ran the mile and 2-mile for Alvord. Went to state in each. He then ran cross-country for what is now Texas A&M -Kingsville, Texas. If you don't know anything about Kingsville, Texas it's freakin' hot there. Anyone who runs in that heat can run anywhere.

So what's a fartlek? According to Wikepedia Fartlek, which means ‘speed play’ in Swedish, is a form of conditioning which puts stress mainly on the aerobic energy system due to the continuous nature of this exercise. The difference between this type of training and continuous training is that the intensity or speed of the exercise varies, meaning that aerobic and anaerobic systems can be put under stress. Most Fartlek sessions last a minimum of 45 minutes and can vary from aerobic walking to anaerobic sprinting. Fartlek training is generally associated with running, but can include almost any kind of exercise including cycling, rowing or swimming.

So I warmed up for about 5 minutes, then sprinted for a minute, jogged for 2 minutes, then sprinted for a minute - did this for two miles. Didn't go 45 minutes, but finished my two miles in 18 minutes. That put me at a 9-minute mile. . .for a workout. I was impresseed. But what was I thinking? During my sprints I thought my heart was was going to explode. IT WAS GREAT!! I haven't had that feeling in a while. I used to live for that feeling when I ran more. Those that run know what I'm talking about - that feeling that says you've pushed everything to the limit and survived. It's not the runner's high that so many talk about. I've been there and felt that, but, again, that's not what I'm talking about. It's the feeling that you've pushed it, you've given it everything you've got, there's nothing left and you survived! You pushed through and conquered.

I love that feeling! I love pushing myself! I love going to the limit! I think I love it for the after affect as much as anything. I love it because of the feeling my body experiences when I hit the watch and every nerve and muscle in my body comes alive. Then there's the thought that I did it! There's also the thought that says I'm finished - no more - no mas!

So what was I thinking? I was thinking this is good!

Mike

Comments

faithrunner said…
Glad to read you are running again. I'm back running now that the cycling season is over. I'm looking forward to cooler weather on the trails. Love that feeling, too.

running with you
robert terrell said…
oh i love fartleks. not usually while i am doing it but i do love what they do to my pace.
Suzy-Q said…
I am still laughing at the word fartleks! :o)

Glad you are out enjoying LIFE!!
MikeS said…
Aunt Jo -

OK. . .looking at your picture and reading your comment it looks like you REALLY want to laugh out loud, but don't want anyone to know what you're laughing at because you don't want to have to explain that you're laughing at the word "fartlek!" :)

Popular posts from this blog

Question for You

Camp is Good!

Favorite Cereals