Welll. . .?

That's probably what y'all have been thinking - huh?

I know, I know. It's just been one those times when there's not much to write home about. I'm kinda in the doldrums when it comes to creative and everyday happenings. Since coming home from teaching at camp I've been so busy that I just don't have much to say.

Oh. . .wait a minute. . .here's one!

Last night several from our young singles ABF (Adult Bible Fellowship) headed off to downtown Mobile and shared some grub and fellowship with the homeless. It was cool to watch them organize it and then serve these men and women who live under a bridge or in a nearby park. I went not necessarily to serve, but to sit with them and get to know their story.

There was Terry - He was in recent car wreck. He had two rods put in his left arm and a skin graft on his right arm. Yet, there he was smiling, eating, and everybit grateful. He was talkative and easy to talk to.

There was Rhett (or Ralph) - He said people called him Ralph because they couldn't always pronounce Rhett. Rhett was talented in the art of construction and demolition. He even asked if I knew anyone who was hiring. As he ate the chili and rice on his plate he told me he was originally from Florida and he was trying to earn enough money to get to Seattle. He wanted to on the train, AMTRAK. He wasn't too keen on flying, but through the train would help him see more of the country.

Then there was Robert (I think) - He was very interested in walking with Christ. He had made a profession of faith, but like a lot us (me inlcuded) he fell off the wagon. He was on a journey back to walking with God. He was wrestling with all the right questions; questions many of us don't dare to wrestle with. I was impressed with his willingness to wrestle with this stuff. He didn't just take it for granted. He was knowledgeable and was attentative when either myself or Regan would help him.

We also handed out practical things like Off bug repelent and foggers to spray around their camp sites. That's just a cool idea. I didn't think of it, obviously. But I still think it's cool.

We finally had to go. Before we knew it we had spent 2 hours hanging with folks so unlike us. I kept thinking, "Why don't we do this more often?" I don't know. I'm still proud of our singles for taking this on a mission. Currently, they do this once a month.

Looking forward to next month,
Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cool Beans! Im proud of them too! I am also glad you FINALLY changed 'Camp is good'. But what a minute....where are the promised pics of camp?
MikeS said…
Oh yeah. They're coming. I haven't downloaded them my laptop yet.

It should be soon.
Anonymous said…
Thanxs! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals