Job of a Lifetime. . .For a Day

Yesterday I had one of the greatest times of my life. It included getting up early enough to see the sun come up and going to bed completely exhausted. It included investing my time, talent, and touch and watching others do the same. It included laughing my brains out at times and intently listening as people shared their hearts.

I could go on, but by now you're probably thinking, "OK, OK!! Get on with it already!"

Yesterday I volunteered to be a runner for the Casting Crowns Lifesong Tour!

Our church donated one of our vans and I dontated my time. I had no idea, nor did I have any expectations going into this gig. The promoter called one day and asked if we could get some volunteers to help with merchandise sales, ushering, and running errands. So. . .I volunteered to be a runner. IT WAS A BLAST! I got to hang out back stage, in the hallways, in the catering, go into the dressing rooms, drive the bus drivers to the hotel and, well, anything they wanted.

One part of the day was especially rewarding for me. Mark Hall, lead singer for Casting Crowns, and Tony Nolan, the tour pastor, needed to run to Wal-Mart to pick up some stuff, a gift for one of Tony's sons for his birthday. We had to park out a bit and as we were were walking in, among all kinds of people walking around - been to Wal-Mart in the middle of a beautiful day, then you know what I'm talking about - Mark sees this lady in one of those handicap spaces that looks like you parallel park rather than pulling in like all the other space who has run out of gas and is about to try to pour five gallons of gas into her car by herself. Mark stops, asks the lady if he could do that for her and then he and Tony work together to pour the gas into her car. THEN, right in front of Wal-Mart he offers her tickets to the concert and THEN, remember we are directly in front of Wal-Mart where everyone can see us - HE PRAYS FOR HER!!

You're saying, "Yeah, so what?" SO WHAT?! When was the last time YOU helped someone, offer them something without expecting anything in return, then prayed for them? Wait a minute. . .I think that's in the Bible somewhere. . .Jesus. . .Garden. . .Cross. Hmmmmm. . .

Anyway, I'm hoping by now you're getting the picture. Those in student or creative arts ministry know what I'm talking about. You've seen enough prima donnas. It's refreshing to see someone remove himself from the limelight and get on his knees to wash some else's feet. You probably won't hear about it from the stage. As a matter of fact I don't even think anyone else in the tour, except the wives, will probably hear about it.

After Wal-Mart - Chuck E. Cheeses!! Dropped off the guys, picked up the kids and families and headed back. Watching their faces light up after school work and being cooped up on a bus all morning was priceless.

Got everyone back to the venue, got to eat with the crew, sit just off the corner of the stage, get their food for the trip to Charlotte, pick up the bus drivers, and enjoy every minute of it!

Now, that was a good day! If I do say so myself!!


Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mike,
It was great to meet you. I was blessed by your very kind act of love as a runner.
I was also blessed by your testimoney about your wife. My faith was inspired. Thanks for never letting go of our great God. You fired me up.

Tony Nolan
CL said…
Mike - That is awesome man. Call me soon we gotta get together again! Love ya brother!

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals