Convert?

I don't believe in new year's resolutions. They never last - at least not for me. I do believe in life change - replacing bad habits with new ones, eating right, exercising, learning more, listening more - talking less (yes, this is one I've been working on), and things that reflect a positive, permanent - or at least a semi-permanent - change in my life.

In 2004 I weighed about 215 lbs. At 5' 10 1/2", that's a lot of weight. I remember seeing a picture of myself and thought, "Where did I buy that shirt? Omars?" So. . .I made a life change. I began to change my eating habits - no more Milk Duds for dinner (no kidding - SAMs size box of Milk Duds and a Dr Pepper - great supper!), no more Hot Tamales, no more Cokes and Dr Peppers, no more chips and hot sauce (tough one for someone who LOVES Mexican food). I also set for my goal that summer to ride the Hotter-N-Hell 100 - a 100 mile bike ride in Wichita Falls, TX in August. Believe me it has every potential to feel like Hell - or worse.

Over the course of the summer I lost down to 178 lbs. I was a little thin, but I was wiry!! I felt good and enjoyed every minute. I finally gained back up to 185 and I like that. It's easy to maintain and still feel healthy. Oh yeah - completed HH100 in 5 hours 22 minutess (that's just under 20 mph average with 3 stops).

This year my life change goal is to become a morning person. I already know that I'm a morning person, but it's more like 1:00, 2:00 in the morning, not getting up at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning kind of person. But recently my schedule has been so hectic that afternoons are so booked with studying, meeting people (my favorite thing), hospital visits, planning, etc. that I don't have time to work out or ride my bike.

So this year I am in the process of converting to a "morning" person. For a couple of weeks now I have been getting up around 5:30 and heading to the "Y" to work out. I get there somewhere between 5:45-6:00. Did you know there are people finishing their workouts by the time I just getting there? What time do these people go to bed?

Speaking of going to bed. I know now why people go to bed before 10:00. Last night I got home somewhere around 9:30. By 10:00 I was zonked!! Gathered up the dogs' food bowls, the cats, and headed to dreamland.

I'm getting better. I'm much more awake now when I get up. That first week was murder. I wanted to come home after working out and go back to bed.

So. . .will I become a convert? Don't know. But as long as my schedule won't allow me to do something in the afternoon, it's good morning 5-freakin-30 ................................................................................................................................

Oops! Sorry, I must have dozed off.

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals