Let's Get Ready to Rummmbbllleee!!

Mom and I are planning to get out today to wrap up some Christmas shopping. I, on the other hand, may just buy for me since clothes are on sale at some of my favorite shopping places (I'll get to that later). It's not that I'm not up for it - I'm just have to remember to get my mouthpiece and my elbow pads. Why? Because it's three days before Christmas. We're not harried or hurried, just need to pick up a few things. I am more worried about other people and their last minute shopping trisks.

Why do we wait 'til the last minute? And men we are the worst. What's up with us guys? It's not like we don't know Christams is coming. Maybe we are hoping Jesus will return and we won't have to go shopping. Maybe it's because our wives and girlfriends expect more from us than we are willing to give. Maybe we are just too lazy. Regardless of the reason, we get what we deserve. If you wait until the last minute expect craziness, hostility, and picked-over gifts.

Soooo. . .when you hand her that "perfect" last-minute gift and she excitedly unwraps it then looks at you like you're an idiot, just accept it and begin cooking breakfast, running her a hot bath, taking the kids out for the weekend, spending the next three Christmases at her parents, and - well to be honest - sleeping in a "cold" bed for a while.

I speak from experience - after 20-plus wonderful Christmases with the same woman (and one who was very difficult to buy for because she would buy something whenever she needed or wanted it).

Here's an idea guys - next Christmas ask your special someone to make a list of what she would like and where to buy it. Honestly ladies we don't know where to buy a sweater with your initial on it - or which particular one you saw and fell in love with, or that special purse, running shoes, gloves, any clothes for that matter without your help. Karen finally got to the point that she would give me a list of things she wanted and where to get them (she also compared prices and I would get in trouble if I paid more than she thought I ought to). Then my part was to shop, wrap, and then purchase a couple of surprise gifts.

One year she got tickets to a Dallas Stars hockey game (Karen loved Stars hockey) - they were really good seats and we made a weekend of it. One year I put together three options for trips - ski, beach, and a cruise - and she picked the one she wanted to enjoy. We went on the cruise. it's not hard guys, it just takes time and planning!

So, there are ways to work with your special someone and you don't have to get caught in the "last-minute" hustle and bustle.

Maybe I should take my helmet, too. . .

Happy Hunting,
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals