Black Friday

Here are some of my ramblings about Black Friday.

Black Friday. . .the day when Americans all across this nation get up at ungodly hours to stand in line and hustle for a chance to purchase something for what appears to be a more than reasonable rate.  WHY?!

I did this last year, against my wishes.  I went to Kohl's with Cindy at 3:00 am.  Again,  WHY?!  I have to admit, I don't think I was there much more than an hour.  Then I headed back home and went back to bed, and swore never to do it again.

Cindy climbed in the car with a friend and off they went. 

They main reason I hear from people that they participate in Black Friday is - "I save so much money!"Have you ever thought the retailers could have been selling it at this price all along?  Have we ever stop to think that our sanity and rest is more important that the material by-product of Black Friday?

I understand that it "saves money".  And families sure could use more money in their pockets.  But, let's be real, to how many Americans does it really mean we just get to buy more stuff?  How many of us stopped shopping only after we bought everything we wanted. . .not needed?  How many of us went out a blew a wad of cash on stuff we already had, but felt we needed more of or a newer version of?

This morning I was thinking about people in other countries.  I wonder what they think of us and our Black Friday?  I wonder about those in other countries who are having trouble feeding their children, cleaning up remnants from mudslides and earthquakes, or escaping with just their lives from civil unrest think of us who can't get enough "stuff?"

Then, there's the people who have worked all night, away from their families.  Not because they WANT to but because we DEMANDED it. . .because we MUST have a Black Friday.

I just keep wondering when enough is enough?  I wonder what would happen if we stopped having Black Friday? And don't give me the corporate mantra "Companies need this?"  Really?  Come on!  I understand the retail market.  I understand this is the part of the year that "makes or breaks" companies.  I've worked in retail.  I know.  But do we really need Black Friday.  And is it really Black Friday not that it begins on Thanksgiving?  Again, when is enough. . .enough?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals