Baby Steps

Ever had something you love to do taken away from you?  Or at least your ability greatly diminished?  That's what I felt like today.

I love running.  I don't do it on an everyday basis - the weather in the NW doesn't help.  I tend to be more purposeful when I schedule a run or race.  I've always been able to run.  I just lace up the ol' tenni-runners and head out the door.  I may be a little out of shape, but it's just putting one foot in front of another.  It's also served as a release for me.  To run, sweat, and accomplish a goal is a high for me.

About six weeks ago I had knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus.  Up until today I have only ridden a  stationary bike for about 10-15 minutes trying to strengthen it and get it ready to run again. 

Today, I tried running on it.  I didn't make it two houses before I realized running today was not an option.  Maybe it was the cold.  Maybe I needed to warm up and stretch a little more.  Maybe there's more in there that needs to be repaired, or maybe I'm just getting old.  Or. . .it could be a combination of the above. 

So, I walked.  For twenty continuous minutes. . .I walked.  Even with that I had moments of pain - the foot landed wrong or stepping off or on to a curb. 

To be honest, I was a little disappointed.  I had been looking forward to this day for a while.  Cindy even bought me some new running shoes for my birthday.  I was excited!  But when I took those first few steps and felt the pain, I almost turned around and went back inside.  I didn't and I'm glad I kept going.  This is new territory for me.  So what do I do?

I'll just walk some more.  Keep doing some stretching.  Maybe ride more than I usually do in the fall/winter.  And keep on going. . .a little more, a little more, and a little more.

And in the immortal words of Bill Murray in What About Bob?, "Baby steps. Baby steps.  Baby steps."
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals