Me, Judas?

As we prepare for Easter I was thinking about Judas.  Kinda wierd, huh?  I mean who thinks about Judas?  Wasn't he the one who betrayed Jesus to the Chief Priests?  Yes, he was.  Wasn't he the one who stabbed his friend, Jesus, in the back?  Yep, one in the same.

I'm not sure why Judas did it.  Depending on which version of Scripture you read, Judas was tempted by the devil (John 13:2).  And he gave in to that temptation.  In doing so he went and made a deal with the teachers of the law and the Chief Priests to lead them to Jesus to be arrested.

It was Jesus' arrest in the Garden of Gethsemane that led Jesus to be wrongfully tried and persecuted and eventually to his death on the cross.  There is so much in all this - God's sovereignty, man's free will, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've read that passage and thought, "Man, I wouldn't want to be Judas!

This morning as I was reading through the events of the last week of Jesus' life the Spirit prompted my mind - sounds like something you read in the Bible, huh? -  anyway. . .God's Spirit said "You aren't  any different than Judas."  That hit me pretty hard, then, wouldn't it you?  I was reminded that I've turned my back on Jesus.  I've betrayed the Son of God.  I've sold Him out to protect my reputation. I've denied Him with my silence.  I've betrayed him with my rationale.  Can't tell you how heavy that ways on my heart.  I am  thoroughly convicted.

I'm thankful and, yet, regretful at the same time.  I would never intentionally do something like that. . .or would I?  Wrestling with the matter this morning.  Yet, God give me the chance to recoup. . .to confess.

Thank you, God,
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals