My First Leadership Lesson

This morning I was reading the blog of Pastor Steven Furtik of Elevation Church who wrote this little ditty on how pointing out problems affects pastors. It reminded me of one of my earliest leadership lessons. . .

Back in the day I was a contract administrator for a company that managed health care data for companies. I was part Unix programmer, trainer, process developer, report checker, and front line contact person for our clients. I loved this job. It's also where I learned that I was geek . . . I had inclinations leading up to this experience, but this job confirmed it. It's also where I started my education on leadership.

On of my first leadership lessons came from Gina, one of my bosses during this time. Since we managed data and, at times, were developing processes with each new client we were open to problems. That happens when you grow, it's part of the growing pains as an organization gets larger. Because of her position Gina became the repository for problems having to do with data processing. And being a good leader, Gina challenged her teams to think through the problems before we reported them by providing 1 or 2 potential solutions. Here's her reasoning:
  1. Anyone can point out problems. In fact, in a lot of organizations there are even some people who think it's their job to point out problems. Don't be like anyone, be a leader.
  2. Leaders help contribute to the solution. Even if they aren't good solutions, it shows that you're willing do something to fixing the problem.
  3. Leaders take the lead - that's why they are called LEADERS. . .duh! Gather information, get a team together, ask questions, seek a solution.
  4. Your suggestions, even if they are not the best, may spark something in someone else that may lead to an appropriate solution.
The church, as in any organization, has it's share of problems and at times there is no shortage of people who feel it's their ministry or spiritual gift to point them out. You probably know some by name. But, let me suggest, that before you point something out to a ministry leader or pastor, consider what could be done to help solve it. You might even think about your role in the solution. Think about it this way. . .You're either helping solve the problem or you're contributing to it. Either way you're involved.


Just remember that all of us are smarter than one of us. Take the lead. Think through the problem. Offer suggestions. Get involved.

What was your earliest leadership lesson?

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals