Who Will Be Your Guest?

This Sunday we celebrate Easter - don't really know what bunny rabbits and eggs have to do with celebrating Jesus' walking out of the tomb, leaving it empty and never returning to it, but so be it. As the church we get all spiffed up, we may even go out and buy a special outfit - just for this day. Don't really get that, but whatever floats your boat. We run to church to participate in the once-a-year event - the choir does it special music, the pastor preaches his special sermon, then we go get stuffed to the gills (I'm sure there's something in the Bible about gluttony, but we sin for a day, oh well) and sleep it all off.

The one thing I think we forget is that while celebrating a risen Savior is a great way to spend the morning, who do we bring to share in the festivities? Listen, I love Easter. I love celebrating my Savior's victory over death. But to celebrate alone has got to be on of the biggest crimes of the century. Why? Because this is one of those events that lost people and folks who aren't connected to a Body of Believers are open to give it a try. Maybe they do it out of tradition - that's what Momma did, that's what we are going to do - maybe the do it out of guilt, or for whatever reason, they are open to coming to church. AND we have the greatest truth ever told...in history!!! Why wouldn't we want to share it with others? Why wouldn't I want my neighbor, my friend, my co-worker, my spouse, my children to hear the good news of Jesus' death and resurrection?!!

I think there's at least one reason we don't invite people to church, even on an occasion like Easter - we don't know, or think we know, any lost people. We have become so enamored with being around people like us that we have forgotten that we were once just like those who need Jesus. I find this true in my own life. Most of my friends and the people I hang out with are Christians. Who are your friends, classmates, co-workers, neighbors that you hang out with? Who do you get coffee with? Who do you carpool with? Who do you go to dinner with? Who do you share movie night with? Who do you double date with? Who do you invite over for game night? Who do you go skiing with? Who do you run with? Who do you ride bikes with? Who do you _________ with (you fill in the blank)?

To be honest this is a struggle I've had since God changed my life way back in the late 80s. That's when I found myself surrounded by church people. Even here, in Gresham, I am surrounded my church people. Love 'em, but they don't need Jesus. There's an entire community of people who need Jesus; people who run, bike, have motorcycles, climb rocks, ski, snowboard (ok I don't, but there's a huge snowboarding community here). And here I sit asking God to put someone in my life to invite this weekend because I don't have any lost friends.

I have to admit, I don't know who I will invite. I've been praying and asking God to orchestrate the circumstances in my life so my path will cross with an unbeliever so I can ask them to be my guest this weekend. Wish I didn't have that struggle. Wish I had a boat load of people who I could invite, but I don't. God, give me a guest.

Who will be your guest?

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals