Lesson From Sunday

I taught again this past Sunday - it was the singles ABF I taught before I left to pursue ManHeart Minsitries. Man - do I miss teaching! Thought I would share the gist of my lesson.

As I do each year, I ask God to show me something new about the Christmas story. I read the OT passages that predict His coming. And I read the NT passages that tell of His coming. This year was something different. I've been reading Romans in preparation for teaching a winter Bible study for a local church. As I was finishing up chapter 1 I read this:
16I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
It hit me, or the Spirit hit me, that the gospel that is the power of God for salvation to all who believe is the same gospel that not only includes Christ's death, burial, and resurrection, but also His birth and His life! Holy cow!! I've missed that all this time. I've missed the point that the gospel includes the birth of Christ. And when I celebrate the birth of the Christ-child I am also celebrating the coming of the Redemptor - my Savior.

I mean, I couldn't have a Savior who died on the cross for the payment of the penalty of my sins without His birth. And neither could you!

So as you sing the wonderful songs of Christmas and enjoy the warm fellowship with friends and family, don't forget that the birth of a baby in Bethlehem was not only a reason to celebrate is also allows you and me to have a personal relationship with God - the one who loves you, pursues you, redeems you, and covers you.

Merry CHRISTmas (thanks Robert for the reminder),

Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals