Halloween or Not

Over the years there's been a lot of debate over whether Christians should participate in Halloween or not. I'm not here to debate the reasons why a believer should allow their children to participate or not. That's their conviction. I do think for a church to say we don't do Halloween, but we're going to do a carnival, trunk-thingy, etc. where kids dress up in costumes and do something for candy, is, if nothing else, ironic.

I have been on staff at three churches where we offered an alternative to traditional trick-or-treating. At all three we have said that we would like to provide a safe place for families to come, have some fun, get something to eat, and, yes, grab a bag full of sugar while you're here. I like the last part!! We also used the opportunity to connect with our community. We also used it as an outreach event. We provided tracts in the bags, we have done follow up letters, cards, phone calls, visits, etc. to let them know how much we appreciated their attendance and invited them to attend church with us.

When I was just feeling good about fall festivals/carnivals hosted by churches I heard someone in church say, "Isn't it just Halloween at the church?" Hhhmmmmm. . . . Is it? Have we just got to the point where we have simply changed the name and place? I think the reasons we have done them in the past is great. I'm in 100-percent. I was just thinking about that question one of our members posed the other day.

What about your church? Do you have an alternative to Halloween at your church? If so, why do you do it?

Just something to think about,
Mike

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals