Running Trails. . .Sort Of

Yesterday, rather than running one of my courses near my house I ran at a park close to Cindy's house. It has ball fields, tennis courts and a running/walking path all the way around the park. it's a pretty good sized park. It even has some trails through the nearby woods to run or ride. In the midst of my run I decided try give the tails a whirl. It was way cool!

I now have a new found respect for my friend Gene. He does stinkin' long trail runs - FOR FUN!! As I ran I discovered the beauty and fun of running through the woods as well as the difficulty of running trails.

When I was a kid my friends, brothers, and I would take off through the woods. Running, jumping, hopping, and soaring down the trails. Yesterday's run brought some of that back. I can't thoroughly explain the feeling, but it was definitely there and I enjoyed every minute of it - even the run back UP the trail.

But in my zeal and excitement I quickly learned that I had to be constantly focused on my footing - roots, pine needles, holes, the sand, and anything that could possibly send my flying down the trail face first. I can just picture my face plant on Funniest Home Videos. I also realized the desperate need for balance and pace. I could have the best footing in the world, but without balance I would twist an ankle or flex a knee the wrong way as I transferred weight from one foot to another on rocks, dirt, or whatever. Pace enabled me to prepare for what was coming so I could see where I needed to step.

I may be over analyzing the experience. So. . .for that matter, just know that it was a blast. I really had a great run and even enjoyed running on the open trail. I look forward to running more trails sometime soon.

Gene - my hat's off to you friend!

Mike

Comments

faithrunner said…
God never intended us to run on concrete, but the trails of his creation, yes! As in cycling, its not if you fall, it's when you fall...but its softer than the road under a bike...

check out www.nttr.org for more trail running craziness.
Anonymous said…
I am so happy to hear that you understand the language of running. I pray that you will keep it up. You always had it in you. Go to pcpacers.org to see the upcoming races in Mobile. There is one on Dauphin Island this Sat at 9am. Big after party with Pizza, fruit and door prizes after.
~athena

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals