Running in the Heat

Finished a 30 minute run (about 3.1 miles) almost an hour ago. It's now 89 degrees with a heat index of about 98. And in the immortal words of comedian Tim Hawkins, "If it feels like 98, it IS 98!"

The crazy thing about running in the extreme heat is that I LIKE it. I love to run in the heat. Maybe growing up in Texas where you run in the heat from spring to fall that made me this way. I don't know. I just know that when it's hot my muscles warm up faster, my joints don't ache, and I can maintain a nice even stride for a fairly good while.

The only problem I have is warming down. You know. . .that little walk afterwards that is supposed to help cool you down. What the crap is that all about? As soon as I begin to walk it's like someone set every nerve covering every inch of my body on a blazing hot fire!

OK. . .so it takes a little bit to cool down. Sit under the ol' AC and ceiling fans with a bottle of ice cold water and in no time I'm ready for a cold shower and clean step ins!

Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
if you have access to runner's world you should look up last month's magazine. there's an article in it on running in the extreme heat. baton rouge was one of the four places it listed and i would consider mobile in the same heat range - except you have some decent offshore breezes coming in (lucky).
MikeS said…
Robert
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, a breeze!! Yeeeaaaa. I tell people here the difference between Mobile and Lufkin, TX is the breeze. Lufkin's the only place on earth where you can hear the breeze and never feel it - the trees are so stinkin dense!

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals