Compassion in the Midst of Your Own Valley

Matthew 14:13-14
As soon as Jesus heard the news, he left in a boat to a remote area to be alone. But the crowds heard where he was headed and followed on foot from many towns. Jesus saw the huge crowd as he stepped from the boat, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick.


I know I shouldn't be, but I am still amazed at the heart of Jesus. Know what I mean? Here is Jesus - 100% human - just hearing the news that his cousin, John the Baptist, had been beheaded by some jerk of a ruler who was more concerned about saving face with his dinner guests, than doing what was right. Jesus wanted, and probably needed, some time alone - to mourn, grieve, and to pray. Yet, when he saw the crowd following Him, Matthew noted his compassion for the them.

So what did He do? He ministered to their need. Not just their spiritual needs, but their physical needs as well - He fed over 5,000 men, women, and children (a number probably in the 10s-20 thousands).

What an example for you and me. I mean. . .how many times have you wallowed in the pity of your circumstances and missed out on ministering to someone else? Me? Plenty. Too many to count.

Thank you Jesus for reminding me this morning that it just isn't about me and my needs. There are times when I forsake the needs of others. . .when I don't have the compassion for them that I should. . .when I can't see past ME . . .and I ought to.

Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the meat this morning...just what I needed

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

Favorite Cereals