Did God Smile?

This morning as I was reading the birth story of Jesus fro Luke 2 I thought - Did God smile? I mean, when baby Jesus took his first breath of alien air and let out his first cry did God, like a first time parent, smile a grateful, appreciative, proud-to-be-a-pappa smile? Think about it! Here's the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords in the presence of humanity as humanity. THAT had never happened before! It's Immanuel - God with us. All of heaven is rejoicing! God's plan to pursue us and have a relationship with us is in motion and. . . and. . .it's a baby! Everybody gets excited about a baby! Through time God would finally have the opportunity to have a relationship with His greatest creation. . .you and me.

Or did he sigh, like one who knew this was only the beginning? Was God's heart burden, even just a little, because He has had sent His only son into a sinful world to rescue an unappreciative creation like us? God knew why Jesus was there. Yes, it would take about 33 years for that purpose to take place. But God knew it. He knew it all. He knew the rejection Jesus would experience. He knew the testing and death-traps that would come from those who should have been looking and waiting for Him. God already knew about the loneliness of Jesus' ministry and life. He even knew about the death he would have to die for us. God knew all of this on the day that little baby received His name - Jesus. . .Savior.

This morning I am excited! I get to celebrate the birth of my Savior! But I'm also a little sad for my God. Because of my sinful, selfish, greedy heart God had to send his only Son to die on the cross for my the penalty of my sins so God and I could have a personal relationship. Then again, maybe God did smile. . . he might have smiled at the thought that he might just have a relationship with YOU! And that would make Him happy.

Smiling that God loves me enough to send His ONLY Son to earth so I may have a relationship with Him. . .
Mike

Comments

Anonymous said…
Michael, I think God did both. The smile for the precious gift of a son and sad because He knew the pain, hurt and rejection His Son would receive...all parents know the smile and the saddness...and the most wonderful is no matter what we can go to God and He knows...He knows...
Mom
Anonymous said…
I printed this and handed it out to everyone in the office...there was tears and some said it was deep and caused you to think about God, His love and the reason He sent HIs Son. Thank you son for you, your faith and your talents.
Merry Christmas.
Love
Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Camp is Good!

Question for You

What was I thinking?